Today I released omnewrotate 0.5.4, which fixes issues 5 and 6
As I am testing the latest 2009 test image, I’m glad to announce that it still works fine with current FSO, but Paroli looks really bad when it goes landscape.
I’ve also added a “-p” (for powersaving) flag, oriented towards activating, well, more conservative approaches such as reading the accelerometer data not so frequently (which directly implies less responsiveness, but it was asked for).
As usual, the download links are at the project’s Google Code site for omnewrotate (see the featured downloads section):
Today I released omnewrotate 0.5.3, which fixes issue 4.
As I was starting to investigate libframeworkd-glib, that dependency was a problem for usage in the recently released Om2008.12 (basically, it wouldn’t run at all).
As such, I added a “–without-frameworkd” to the ./configure script, which I used for building the ipk of this release (OpenPGP sig).
Another good thing about this release, is that its tar ball (OpenPGP sig) is now the result of make dist. This should be a great bonus for integration with hackable:1, which is still using a pretty old version of omnewrotate. Just don’t forget to include “–without-frameworkd” in the configure process (I plan to have this detection done automatically in the future).
I’ve just release a new version of OMNewRotate (source, it’s OpenPGP signature, an ipkg tested against FSO M4.1 and it’s OpenPGP signature).
Solved in this release, with the help of Kumar, is issue 1, suspend. It’s a solution based on apm suspend/resume scripts, so I expect that to be temporary until a better solution comes along.
Issue 2 is also solved, since it resulted from a typo in the previous releases.
I’ve just release a new version of OMNewRotate (source, it’s OpenPGP signature, an ipkg tested agains FSO M4.1 and it’s OpenPGP signature), the ‘Automagically Lazy Edition’ because it’s just like the ‘Lazy Edition’ but with Autotools magic. Yes, I know it doesn’t work well with suspend. I’ve just gotter suspend to work on my OpenMoko, so expect that it is fixed by 0.6.0.
From the ChangeLog:
2008-12-09 - 0.5.1 - Automagically lazy
* same as 0.5.0 plus auto tools magic
* desktop icon
* places a starter script
Following a question from Leonti Bielski in the OpenMoko Community Mailing List, here’s a tip on how to start OMNewRotate (or any other rotate for that matter). Just execute the following (from the phone’s terminal or from an SSH connection), and restart the xserver:
echo '/home/root/rotate&' > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/89rotate
chmod a+rx /etc/X11/Xsession.d/89rotate
My first reply has a bug, so maybe you should trust the above version better. I think Leonti caught it, since it worked for him 🙂
I’ve just release a new version of omnewrotate (OpenPGP signature), the ‘Lazy Edition’ because it uses so much less CPU than any version I did before. Oh, I forgot to mention it in the release commit, but at least with FSO M4 I’m getting a very stable rotation BUT if the screen looks garbled, please wait a few seconds until the graphic user interface adjusts to the screen changes. I don’t think I can do much about that…
From the ChangeLog:
2008-11-19 - 0.5.0 - Lazy edition
* uses a second thread for reading the accellerometer packets
* drops Fabian's changes (not that they weren't good, just not
needed any more)
* adds flags (look at display_help() or ./rotate -h)
* drops packets with 0 value coordinates (I got bogus packets
like that so I decided to drop them, if you feel you get good
packets with 0 value, you can use '-0' as an argument to take
them in account).
* top -d 1 -p PID shows 0.0% CPU usage (of omnewrotate) even
* seems to waste a little too much memory (some stuff could be
done with one number and bitwise operations instead of several
numbers, I wonder how much that will improve and if it's worth
* only output outside of debug mode are real errors
… Marcus Bauer, who writes TangoGPS (an app I like but rarely use because GPS eats battery), uses one of my rotate versions. Neat!
I really gotta make a new release, but first I must decide wether to move to FSO (of which I’m trying out fso-image since M4) or Debian. I’m kinda of bored of the “hard” way OpenEmbbeded paves for writing applications…
I was going to place my OpenMoko project on projects.openmoko.org but because the OpenMoko guys couldn’t solve my problem commiting files (hopefully because they’re finally working on the really important stuff) and I wanted to outsource the project’s hosting, I moved it into Google Code, so this is it’s new home: http://code.google.com/p/omnewrotate/
Currently, the code has integrated some of Fabian Henze‘s source code changes, but quite sadly he considers our aims as being too different for further collaboration in one project.